Facebook has nearly a billion active daily users (as of early 2013). As Facebook grows in popularity, so does the attractiveness of attacking the site and its user base. It's beyond time to keep your Facebook account safe.
This doesn't mean you shouldn't use Facebook or any other social media. This simply means you need to be careful when conducting your business online. Here are some tips on how to make sure your Facebook account is secure:
- Use a different email address for your account than you use to communicate with people
- Make your security question difficult to guess, especially for those who know you
- Enable login approvals for your account (two factor authentication system)
- Enable https. Under your Account Settings, click on Security. Make sure Secure Browsing is enabled.
- Change your password frequently
- Don't put personal information on your account page
- Log off when you are done
Besides those tips to keep your Facebook account safe, before visiting any website it would be a great idea to:
- Use a firewall
- Only use wireless networks you trust
- Keep your operating system and other software up to date
- Use a password manager (this is different from having your browser remember your credentials)